[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Documentation licensing

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:44:26 EST 2008

2008/12/9 Sharp, Chris <csharp at georgialibraries.org>:
> I plan to license under the share-alike (or something like it) which also requires that any derivatives are also given a similar license (much like the GPL).
>
> Dan's original link:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

You got it, Chris - that's the one I meant.

I should hasten to note that Bradley also said "I am not a lawyer and
this does not constitute legal advice" - there's only so much one can
fit into 140 characters :)

> Re the CC license, Dan, I assume you're referring to this one:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/
>
> Yes?

Almost - as Chris points out, the share-alike condition of
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ is the rough
equivalent of the copyleft condition in the GPL that ensures that the
documentation and its derivatives will continue to be available under
compatible terms in the future, so it gives us parallel goals for each
license in the dual-licensing scenario.

Oh, and I should point out that I am also not a lawyer, nor does
anything that I say constitute legal advice.

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> Well, maybe. A suggestion from Bradley Kuhn, former director of the
>> Free Software Foundation and current director of the Software Freedom
>> Conservancy, is to dual-license the documentation: put it under the
>> GPL to match the license for the Evergreen software, but also make it
>> available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
>> (CC-BY-SA) license. A dual-licensing scheme maximizes the ability of
>> the documentation to be used and adapted in different contexts without
>> having to worry about conflicting license terms - so, for example, we
>> could include a copy of the documentation heavily intermingled with
>> the GPLed source code for the software, but also create and
>> redistribute derivative works that mix in CC-BY-SA artwork and other
>> CC-BY-SA licensed documentation. It's about maximum flexibility.
>>
>> --
>> Dan Scott
>> Laurentian University

> | Karen G. Schneider
> | Community Librarian
> | Equinox Software Inc. "The Evergreen Experts"
> | Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712
> | E-Mail/AIM: kgs at esilibrary.com
> | Web: http://www.esilibrary.com

Dan Scott
Laurentian University