[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Helping with documentation

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 27 19:41:34 EDT 2008

This is a nicely-done video -- short and sweet and to the point.

Last week George Duimovich of  NRCan Library / Bibliothèque RNCan shared
some thoughts about user-contributed documentation. He pointed to an example
for PostgreSQL:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page

This might be an approach to Evergreen, as well. Right now the main wiki
page is all over the map. Ryan's videos would fit nicely under "Community
Generated Articles, Guides, and Documentation" in a video tutorial
subcategory. It wouldn't get lost in the flotsam and jetsam currently
cluttering the wiki at this point.

Note that last week I added a particularly nice PR brochure here:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=advocacy:pr

I just uploaded a file and linked to it (on the assumption that this file
would be somewhat immutable and no other approach was warranted). (Yes, we
had permission :) )

Oh, and this is cramming yet another thought into this message, but I've
been looking at DocBook and some earlier messages of Dan's (plus input from
George) and thinking hard about this as an overall approach to Evergreen
documentation.

(See esp.
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=documentation:history_of_the_technical_writing_project&s[]=docbook)

I think he's right, and the issue is how to get there. Right now we're
focusing on generating a lot of documentation, and that's fine. From talking
to documentation writers I know from here and there, many of them write in
Word and then convert to a doc-authoring format. By mid-December I hope to
turn to the issue of organization and presentation and to also focus on
getting the mess that is the wiki in some seemly order.