[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] introducing ourselves

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 8 11:05:59 EDT 2009

Hi everyone

my name is Repke de Vries  from Amsterdam and my two reasons to join
and contribute are:

- a project (attached to the team as freelancer) at the International
Institute for Social History in Amsterdam [1] that selects a FOSS ILS
package to replace IISH's Advance ILS from Geac / Infor; we wrote up
requirements, did a short feasibility study if there would be any
likely FOSS ILS packages, wrote up test plan + test scenarios and
just concluded tests with the number one candidate from the
feasibility phase - which wasn't Evergreen and we urgently await
Evergreen's 1.6  as a possible better package given our needs
Both the feasibility study and presently looking at Evergreen 1.4
(while waiting for :-)) is severely hindered by lack of adequate
documentation.
I agree strongly with Paul's observations in this respect.

- some of you who were at the Evergreen conference (I wasn't) may
have attended Tigran Zargaryan's presentation where Tigran also gave
background information on eIFL and the eIFL FOSS program [2] ; well:
that is one of my hats too - partly involved with Tigran's eIFL FOSS
ILS project but my main involvement is with the "eIFL FOSS SA
(southern Africa) Greenstone Support Network" project.
My eIFL work learns me a lot about internationalisation (I prefer UK
english spelling this word - here you go, even in english) and the
very different documentation types needed for training (including
installation and set up), support and advocacy - the latter
explaining FOSS library software to higher management.
Also doing my own Greenstone implementation work and like their
approach to documentation very much [3]. That said: an offline doc
format is much better in situations with poor Internet connectivity -
as long as reader software for such formats is FOSS.

How I would like to contribute: any dirty work is fine, certainly
trying out draft documentation in practice (see above), less so the
actual writing (though my technical writing skills are better than
all my other prose which tends to go all over the place)

Yours, Repke

web: http://www.linkedin.com/in/repke

P.S.: my second name Eduard might give a further clue to the he / she
question (talking about ambiguous documentation)

[1] http://www.iisg.nl
[2] http://www.eifl.net/cps/sections/services/eifl-foss
[3] http://wiki.greenstone.org/wiki/index.php/GreenstoneWiki

Op 8-jun-2009, om 2:23 heeft Paul J. Weiss het volgende geschreven: