[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Documentation session pre-work: hierarchy ideas

web gurl georgiawebgurl at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:39:13 EDT 2009

Hi Karen,
Just a few random thoughts and questions as I consider the possibilities.
;-)

I think your proposed hierarchy looks good. The vocabulary choices and
organization seem logical to me.

How would this hierarchy accommodate future changes
(additions/deletions/revisions?) For example, where would a list of ALL out
of the box assigned/shortcut keys fit? Would it be included under
-Customizing Evergreen  --Changing key mappings (in whatever documentation
resides there) or would it fit into one of general resources listed towards
the end?

Also, are you envisioning more of a parent/child relationship as with a
taxonomy (as I am sensing)?

I like putting the 'FAQs' and 'Guides and Glossaries' in a separate section
(quick and ready reference!) but I would hope that the actual documentation
would also cross reference/make reference to those materials. I could just
see where useful info might be overlooked if a user only went to "their"
section of the book. Of course, those are really documentation issues, not
hierarchical issues. ;-)

Following on that, in terms of collating the book, I believe that it will be
easier to manage if it is chunked up into several books with those books
having some sort of linkage/relationship, of course.

Just my somewhat random thoughts. ;-)
Thanks,
Robin
robinfay.net