[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Quote about DocBook

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri May 15 08:10:41 EDT 2009

Since last fall I've been lurking on discussion lists for open-source
documentation projects (e.g. Fedora), open source standards such as DocBook,
and tool-specific lists such as oXygen XML editor. The following quote, from
someone involved in a major open source project, sums up the assessment I
get from people who have spoken with me about DocBook:

"The reason why DocBook is the tool of choice is because it gets the job
done and everything else is worse.  [Most of] the tools are free software.
 You get the output formats you need: HTML, HTML Help (for Windows),
tolerable print, man pages, plain text.  It's easy to work with for a
decentralized team because the sources are plain text that you can check
into CVS.

"Everything else is worse: Wikis are only online.  Word is just a terrible
tool altogether, and you can't run cvs diff on it.  LaTeX is weird, so is
Texinfo.  Everything else is either very limited or unfinished or
nonexistent."