[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Documentation session pre-work: hierarchy ideas

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Fri May 15 09:17:54 EDT 2009

Karen S,

It looks like you've done a good job of categorizing the various topics that need addressing in the documentation.  It occurs to me though, that there's another facet that might merit consideration for the top level of the hierarchy.  I'm thinking audience.  We have at least 3, maybe 4 audiences within the community that would be using the documentation.  Decision/Policy Makers, Technical Staff, and Front Line Staff.  The possible 4th I'm thinking of is Library Patron/Customer.

The advantage of making audience the top level in our hierarchy would be that Policy Makers and Front Line staff don't feel they're missing anything they'll need by skipping the scary technical stuff.  And the technical parts could be written a little more technical than if it was meant for a general audience, and the only available source of info on certain topics.  Cross references and a shared index could help bring together the audience-based volumes/sections where topics are of interest to more than one audience.  And of course, if someone wears more than one hat, they could read everything applicable to them.

The downside I see is that where there are overlapping topics, we may wind up with documentation on a single topic scattered in different places like we have in the wiki.  On the other hand, cross references could help address this potential problem, and it could be an upside in some cases.  For example, on customizing Evergreen, Policy Makers would like to know what their options are, but not necessarily all the nitty gritty on how they'd be implemented, particularly if implementation requires technical magic outside the staff client.  Their section could address customization options, with cross-references to the appropriate parts of the Technical Staff section that explain implementing those options.

Anyway, it seems to me there's more than one right answer to choose from.  Just tossing this out there for consideration.  :)

Karen C