No subject

Thu May 28 17:10:26 EDT 2009

t rendering PNGs properly=A0 (especially those with transparency or transpa=
rent areas) but IE7 seems to be addressing this issue (I haven't checke=
d a transparent/partially transparent PNG in IE7, though). There is a CSS +=
JQuery workaround for IE6 to force a pseudo transparency for IE6.=A0 On the=
 plus side, PNGs have a tendency to be stable, smaller sized than a JPG wit=
h no loss in resolution (due to compression). Both PNGs and JPGs can be pro=
gressive display (depending upon which software creates/edits them).<br>
he web and across browsers but JPGs are excellent for photographs due to th=
e depth of color field. They are really the standard for=A0 photos, montage=
s, and more detail oriented imagery on the web. JPGs and TIFFs both offer s=
upport for embedded EXIF metadata; I&#39;m not sure if that is available fo=
r PNGs.=A0 I am not sure if that is of importance to this project. Generall=
y, EXIF data is written by the camera to the image file, but it can be adde=
d and manipulated afterwards by some image editing programs or via scripts.=
=A0 <br>
cially those with limited color palettes, providing both transparency and v=
ery clean/sharp lines. TIFFs can be huge -- excellent quality for archival =
images, but probably well beyond the scale of most web browsers.=A0 <br>
ble devices beyond what they support for web browsing.<br><br>Just my thoug=
der <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kgs at esilibrary.com">kgs at esilibr=
"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padd=
ing-left: 1ex;">
We met today and it was a gloriously short meeting -- we made great<br>
headway in 20 minutes.<br>
We compared the two guides I had shared (from two companies using<br>
DocBook) and agreed that one of the guides held great promise as a<br>
model. Since my August is a little less crazy than some other folks&#39;,<b=
r>
I volunteered to start working with the XML the company had<br>
thoughtfully provided to begin customizing it for Evergreen&#39;s needs.<br=

I&#39;ve got the files open in oXygen... not sure I&#39;ll have a working<b=
r>
styleguide by tomorrow afternoon, but wouldn&#39;t rule out some work on<br=

it!<br>
Here are some of the areas that we felt needed to differ from the<br>
styleguide (aside from changing corporate references to refer to<br>
Evergreen, and licensing to Creative Commons =A0;) )<br>
Lynn Floyd -- liked the layout of metroguide but Progress software had<br>
better material for our needs (this was a consensus)<br>
Lynn -- heed the elements unused, citation, isbn, issn -- these could<br>
be useful for us (depends on how they are defined)<br>
Lynn -- Reorder things: figures, screen shots, inline, graphics -- put<br>
before tables and lists -- consensus<br>
Question: format? for graphics? implications?<br>
Jennifer -- thinks jpeg is more widely used<br>
Lynn -- PNG -- more cross-platform-friendly<br>
Karen: What are the sizing options? Note: need to write<br>
graphics-independent content -- for reuse in translations<br>
All: we agreed to make the exclusion list much shorter (the list of<br>
excluded tags)<br>
--<br>
--<br>
| Karen G. Schneider<br>
| Community Librarian<br>
| Equinox Software Inc. &quot;The Evergreen Experts&quot;<br>
| Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712<br>
| Web: <a href=3D"http://www.esilibrary.com" target=3D"_blank">http://www.e=
silibrary.com</a><br>