[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Where to put reviewers notes .. Re: Evergreen DIG Test Server Available

Roma Matott rmatott at pls-net.org
Thu Sep 24 11:34:05 EDT 2009

Hi -

I haven't added any notes yet.  To be honest, the process of making notes of the upgrade process generated a lot of questions about how the technical side should be documented.
The upgrade was a two step process for me - I had to upgrade OpenSRF and Evergreen.  The instructions for upgrading OpenSRF seemed to be more if you were installing the software from scratch than an upgrade. So, below is what was running through my mind:

Question 1:  How do we determine what to document?  Do I document a separate page for if you are upgrading OpenSRF?  Or do I amend the current documentation so that it is clear that some steps only relate to a new install?

Question 2:  I am using Ubuntu 8.10, so my commands were (very) slightly different.  Do I just state that these instructions are for Ubuntu operating system and hope that if someone is using Debian they know the difference?  Or do I add the different commands in the same step indicating which operation system they are for?  I guess, the underlying question here is should we only be documenting in the preferred/most widely used os or should we try to accommodate both?

While the current documentation is good, I do think it requires that the user has a solid foundation in Linux commands.  I might be over thinking this, but I would like to create documentation that is easy enough for a person with average technical skills to follow.  I have the feeling that this is important for the growth of the Evergreen community.  So, if anyone has any thoughts on this, please share!

Roma
Systems Librarian
Pioneer Library System
Canandiagua, NY