[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ***SPAM*** Documentation Hackfest & Going Forward

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Fri Apr 23 15:39:39 EDT 2010

A big thank you to everyone who attended the Documentation Interest Group Hackfest at this year's conference.  We had a great turnout and lots of useful discussion.  It was also great to have the chance to put faces with names.

I'll recap the high points as I remember them, but please chip in if I leave anything out or if you have any comments or questions.

In discussion we identified some goals for the group:

- To put together a simple styleguide for contributors.
- To choose a process for version control & automating production of HTML and PDF documents from the DocBook files we create.  Launchpad and Github were mentioned as possibilities.
- To identify deadlines for those participants who feel they work well to deadlines.
- To communicate better with Evergreen developers in order to facilitate documenting the techier side of Evergreen.
- To identify "teams" of participants based on type of contribution and on content area of interest.  By type of contribution we mean content production (writing, editing, and testing) or technical wrangling (conversion to docbook and committing to version control repository).  By content area of interest, we're mainly thinking of whether content producers are working on documentation for end users, system admins, or developers.
- To get busy producing content and sharing it on the mailing list in whatever format or state of readiness it's in, so we can make some visible progress.

I'll send out a "How to Get Started" email soon for those interested in writing editing, and testing documentation, along with suggested deadlines for those who prefer a deadline.  :)

Thanks,
Karen

--
Karen Collier