[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] FW: Server Administration Chapter Sections

steve sheppard ssheps at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:33:43 EST 2010

> I am analyzing the best way to organize the "Server Administration"
> chapter under the part "Administration" and would like some opinions.
> This chapter heading seems pretty broad and could capture almost anything
> and everything...

[silence, so I'll kick-start the discussion...]

During our last web meeting we talked about splitting some administrative
docs to a separate wiki but keeping others in the book. I believe the
division was this:
 * things related to daily system admin and the staff client belong in the
book;
 * things that happen underneath Evergreen at system level could move to a
new wiki

Just to clarify:
I understand this division to mean that The Book is primarily for quick
reference, intended to ease day-to-day maintenance activities and answer
questions about local customizations that might concern most staff.
Basically, stuff you can tailor or change after the basic system is up and
running. Deep information about the server environment would remain in The
Book,
but would refer to a separate wiki.

The wiki would advise on installation and upgrade issues, backups, database
activities, support scripts, cron jobs, background daemons and the like.
Basically, stuff to get a new system up and running, plus directed
information
on how to maintain it. It is a *live* document, a place to gather pragmatic
information about variations on different platforms, differences between
versions, expected and observed server loads, maintenance hints, and so on.

Keeping that in mind, here's one take on your suggested updates to the
Outline,
plus references to structure for a new wiki:

Administration
--Introduction & Intended Audience
--Chapter: Recommended Hardware and Network Configuration(s)   (also refer
to new wiki)
--Chapter: Server-side Installation  (also refer to new wiki)
--Chapter: Upgrading to Version 1.6 from Version 1.4  (also refer to new
wiki)
--Chapter: Starting, Stopping, Backups, Security, and Maintenance  (also
refer to new wiki)
--Chapter: Server Administration
----Organizational Types and Units  (short section here; refer to new
chapter)
----Localization and Languages  (short section here; refer to new chapter)
----Hold Notifications
----Overdue and Predue Notifications
----Added Content in the OPAC
----Cataloguing Templates  (short section here; refer to new Cataloguing
chapter)
----Adjusting Search Relevancy Rankings  (short section here; refer to new
chapter)
----Evergreen Log Files  (also refer to new wiki)
----Groups and Permissions  (short section here; refer to new chapter)
----MARC Codes  (short section here; refer to new Cataloguing chapter)
----Copy Status
----Billing Types
----Circulation Modifiers
----Support Scripts (also refer to new wiki)
--Chapter: Local Administration
--Chapter: Migrating Data
--Chapter: Reporting
--Chapter: Z39.50 Server
--Chapter: SIP2
--NEW CHAPTER: Organizational Types and Units
--NEW CHAPTER: Localization and Languages
--NEW CHAPTER: Cataloguing / MARC Codes  (with reference to the Cataloguing
section)
--NEW CHAPTER: Adjusting Search Relevancy Rankings (start from Karen's
existing doc)

[Partial wiki structure]
--Administration
----Recommended Hardware and Network Configuration(s)
----Server-side Installation (Router, PostgreSQL database, memcached
servers, apache, opensrf, evergreen)
----Upgrading to Version 1.6 from Version 1.4
----Upgrading to Version ??? from Version 1.6 (eventually!)
----Starting, Stopping, Backups, Security, and Maintenance
----Evergreen Log Files
----Support Scripts

To summarize:
Per Robert's suggestion, create a handful of new chapters in
"Administration"
that expand on topics currently in "Server Administration"; add references
as
needed to the new chapters; start to refine a structure for a wiki; plan for
references in "Administration" and "Server Administration" to the new wiki.

--Steve