[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Book of Evergreen: suggestion for additional chapter

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 5 12:35:27 EST 2010

Hi DIG-ers

from a discussion in our DIG technical documentation subgroup, my
suggestion and question to DIG at large:

should we add a chapter "Access by third party applications" or
"Third Party Data Access" - and indeed what is it name?

I have the following in mind and don't see it easily fit elsewhere in
the Book of Evergreen - please your comments:

- SRU searching Evergreen (including holding information from the
"asset" tables)
- SuperCat type of pulling data from EG (I suppose this is a case of
web services access over HTTP [or is it cgi-bin style])
- OpenSRF type of pulling (could be adding too) data from EG
- feeds: could be RSS, could be based on either of the two mentioned
just above
- in a way: Z39.50 access in which EG is a target
- other suggestions ?

We have "Application Programming Interfaces" under Development which
covers part of this but I am not sure from which angle and for which
audience (likewise: Administration and "Z39.50 Sever")

I have something very practical in mind where you look up how to
construct your URL + all available options, or look up putting a web
service call together "Cook Book Style" for Third Party Applications.

Thanks, Repke