[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] FW: Server Administration Chapter Sections

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Sun Jan 31 08:29:42 EST 2010

HI DIGers,

I am analyzing the best way to organize the "Server Administration" chapter under the part "Administration" and would like some opinions.
This chapter heading seems pretty broad and could capture almost anything and everything. There are Server Administration controlled by the staff client, by configuration files and by Database table entries. Here are the sections which fall under it and which don't seem to be able to fall under other categories:

Organizational Types and Units
- Under Server Administration in Staff Client
- Should it have its own Chapter?

Localization and Languages
-Should this have its own chapter? For US organizations it is not very big, but for international organizations or multi-lingual organizations this is a pretty big deal.

Hold Notifications

Overdue and Predue Notifications

Added Content in the OPAC
-e.g. Using Amazon for book covers and changing to other services

Cataloguing Templates
-could this be moved to the Cataloguing section or should a chapter be added to Server Administration which deals exclusively with cataloguing customization?

Adjusting Search Relevancy Rankings
-There is an existing document created by Karen Schnieder titled "Indexed-Field and Matchpoint Weighting" in the repository at:
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/docs/1.6/book1/sysadmin/indexedfieldweighting.xml
- I wonder about the title of this section: If I was googling for it I would use "relevancy" and this might help users trying to finding how to adjust relevancy. However, the title  "Indexed-Field and Matchpoint Weighting" is much more technically correct. Any opinions or preferences or other suggestions?

Evergreen Log Files
-I would cover the configuration of  the logging levels in opensrf_core.xml. This topic could be covered under maintenance or as part of troubleshooting as well.

Groups and Permissions
-There seemed to be some discussion on the need for clarification of permissions. Maybe this needs its own chapter?

MARC Codes
-These MARC code options fall under Server Administration in the staff client. As with "Cataloguing Templates" should it fall under a Cataloguing section?

Copy Status
- Under Server Administration in Staff Client

Billing Types
-- Under Server Administration in Staff Client

Circulation Modifiers
-- Under Server Administration in Staff Client

Support Scripts
-- Explain how to use the support scripts provided with Evergreen and setting up cron jobs

Thanks,
Robert

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please
notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
the original message.