[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ***SPAM*** Re: Context sensitive help in the staff client

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Wed May 19 11:27:17 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,

I just joined the list because of my role with the communication committee
and because of my interest in the context-sensitive help files Jason
explained at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=scratchpad:custom_help). This
is a very exciting development and one that our KCLS/Galecia Group gang was
pushing for. As Jason described, the context sensitive help functionality is
available in the staff client and there are two types of files: ...help.html
and ...custom_help.html that can be created for providing context sensitive
help very granularly. The "..." refers to their location in a hierarchy that
will allow us to create help that is both granular and more general as you
move up and down the hierarchy.

The ...custom_help.html is installation specific, whereas the ...help.html
is meant to be more general. Today, these files are empty.

On behalf of KCLS, the Galecia Group is available to contribute to the
development of those help.html files (the ones that are not installation
specific) so that context sensitive help can be rolled into the 2.0 release.
We are volunteering to not only participate in this effort but to take a
leadership role if that spot isn't yet filled. Cheryl Gould would be our
point person for this work (she is currently out of town so I've posted on
her behalf.)

We think this is a good use of our time because it will be such a big
benefit for all Evergreen users to have the generic help files in place so
that each library can then focus on their custom_help files . Sometimes, no
custom_help file will be needed at all. Or libraries may want to include
policies or local procedure info there.

Let me know if there is anyone else interested in working on the generic
help files with us, or if there is already someone leading the charge, let
me know who to contact so that we can get involved.

Lori Ayre