[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Forming Teams by Topic

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Wed May 19 17:03:59 EDT 2010

I've been wondering if people would find it helpful to work in small teams by topic area?  Particularly in content areas for which a lot has been written by multiple organizations, it seems like it could be helpful to have, say 2-4 people bouncing ideas off each other as far as which parts to take from which documents and divide up the work of bringing it up to date amongst yourselves.  Does this sound like it could be helpful?

I'm thinking the teams could be:

OPAC
Circulation
Cataloging
Reporting
System Administration
Acquisitions
Development
Docbook Wranglers
Context Sensitive Help

In the first five teams, we'd need people to read and test existing documentation within your content area (http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=existing-docs:existing-docs), choose which parts from which institutions would fit well within our outline (http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:outline), update the chosen documentation to reflect reality in version 1.6, edit out references to a particular institution's policies that wouldn't be of general interest to the community, and get the revised documentation to the Docbook Wranglers via the mailing list.

The Acquisitions Team will need people to find any existing documentation there may be on the acqusitions module, and research and write to fill the gaps.

The Development Team, would need to get in touch with our developer friends and try to find out what they want documented, and how best to help make that happen.

The Docbook Wranglers Team will need volunteers who can convert documentation to Docbook format and those who can get it into a version control repository... or are interested in learning to do this.

And the Context Sensitive Help Team would be involved in writing and editing context sensitive help for use in the staff client, perhaps in collaboration with the people working in the overlapping content areas.

Any comments, questions, or discussion on this idea?  Anyone ready to volunteer for a team or two?

Thanks,
Karen

--
Karen Collier