[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ***SPAM*** Re: DIG Test Server

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue May 25 01:21:18 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com> wrote:
> I think this is something we could cover for the time being with the KCLS
> IMLS grant funds.  Would be possible to have a test server dedicated to the
> work of DIG and the context-sensitive help project?  Ideally, we'd need help
> on the Equinox side keeping it current with KCLS developments.
> Copying Jed to make sure I'm not speaking out of turn.  Also, need someone
> from Equinox to chime in....

We may need multiple servers running different versions of EG here.

The first DIG test server was running a 1.6 version of EG.  KCLS
developments are happening in trunk.  I could see it both ways, but
for now it seems sane for documentation efforts in general to focus
around major branches of the software (such as rel_1_6) and not trunk,
which can change (and unchange) very rapidly.

However, whenever trunk is forked into a new major branch, it would be
nice if it had documentation already that the new branch would
inherit.

Since we already have branches and little in the way of cohesive
documentation, I could see folks focusing on the branches first (since
reference servers with matching versions would be easier to keep up)
and then later seeding trunk with documentation from the branches
(forward-porting the changes).

Then eventually all documentation may start originating in trunk.

--
Jason Etheridge