[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] documented developmnt

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Wed Feb 9 16:23:00 EST 2011

Personally, I don't envision the DIG as being the "arbiter" of anything or as the setter of standards. Our role is to (as I see it):

1. Receive documentation in any form or format
2.  Fix and reformat as needed
3. Place it into a repository shared by the community
4.  Disseminate/distribute share documentation  in a final form for reading (e.g. HTML, PDF processed from DocBook)
5.  Update and fix documentation as needed.
6. Rinse and repeat for each version of Evergreen

It should not be our intention to add documentation standards to place heavy burdens on developers, or institutions, or companies.  My hope is to find a way to help the documentation process catch up to the development process. From my perspective development has been lightning fast and incredible. The ultimate shared goal should be  to find a way to get documentation from the heads of developers, expert users,  trainers etc... into the hands of the Evergreen users so all can benefit, but in the least burdensome way.

I was also not thinking about this from as  a process issue as much as a tools or resource issue. In other words, could some of the existing resources be better utilized to accomplish the goal of keeping documentation up to the speed with development efficiently and effectively. Dan touched on a few of these such as repositories and launchpad. In short, could DIG folks be more involved in these tools to more effectively keep up?

One example: could we have documentation fixes submitted like code fixes using launchpad or would that create a disaster of complexity in launchpad?... So when a developer adds a feature, they could at the same time introduce a documentation ticket requesting documentation for the feature. The an interaction could follow via launchpad and the documentation person could work with the developer? Would that kind of interaction work as features are developed?

I am also thinking of documentation in its most basic level as describing how a tool is used. I believe in starting simple and starting with  imperfect documentation and editing until it is better. The sooner the imperfect documentation is introduced to the community at large the sooner it can be improved. This is what I envision open -source development to be all about.

Robert