[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ***SPAM*** Registering workstations and starting/stopping services

Anoop Atre anoop.atre at mnsu.edu
Wed Feb 23 18:42:48 EST 2011

Regarding the second part of Jenny's email, I was hoping to see it
documented under Part IV. of Administration under section "Starting
Evergreen" in 1.6 docs and "Starting, Stopping and Restarting" in the
2.0 docs.

Dan Scott mentions it in his most excellent intro to Evergreen
development workshop available here:

http://open-ils.org/~denials/workshop.html#_starting_opensrf_services

I am not sure where we have the list of Evergreen services.

What is the best way for system administrators and developers to
request/suggest 'what might be useful' entries into the official
documentation? Just send out an email saying "Hey this seems like a nice
thing we should have in the DIG docs."? Since we might stumble on to
areas of the wiki/irc/mailing list that other staff might not as much.

Cheers

On 02/23/2011 04:47 PM, Turner, Jennifer M wrote:
> Hello, DIGgers -
>
> Two "missing pieces" of documentation have presented themselves in the last couple of days.
>

> 1)      Although we have a section on registering workstations (http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/1.6/draft/html/staffclientinstallation-running-staffclient.html#staffclientinstallation-workstationnames), it is not evident thata user must have working locations assigned in order to do so (with in theuser account>  Other>  User Permission Editor and then check the boxes forworking locations or Admin>  User Permission Editor.  Working locations are briefly mentioned under the permissions section (http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/1.6/draft/html/permissions.html), but it is not clear that one of thepermissions that is "dependent on the user having the working location" isworkstation registration.
>
> Perhaps the documentation for registering workstations could be lengthened a bit by adding something like the following:
>
> Users must have the REGISTER_WORKSTATION permission and be assigned the appropriate working location(s) in order to register a workstation.  To add working locations to a user's account:
>
> a)      Retrieve the user through a patron search and select Other>  UserPermission Editor and select the boxes for the locations necessary.  Save the user record.  Note: making modifications to Working Locations while changing permission settings does not work - when this workflow is performed, permission changes will not be applied to the database.
>
> b)      Alternately, from the Admin menu, select User Permission Editor and retrieve the user by barcode.  Make changes to working locations as described above.
>
> Otherwise, perhaps the existing section on working locations in the documentation could be beefed up and cross referenced from the section on naming/registering workstations?
>

> 2)      A suggestion from a coworker who knows more about system stuff than I do:
>
> He would like to see something under the system administration section for, "Starting and stopping specific Evergreen services: This example restarts the cataloguing module>  opensrf-perl.pl --service open-ils.cat<other options>  --action restart"
>
> There are probably other services, but I am not the person to ask about these.
>
> Thanks,
> Jenny
>
> ==============================
> Jennifer Turner
> PALS, A Program of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
> Minnesota State University, Mankato
> ML 3022
> Mankato, MN 56001
> 507-389-2000
>
> * Through Our Work, Knowledge Grows *

Anoop Atre
IS Developer & Integrator, MnPALS
PH: 507.389.5060
OF: 3022 Memorial Library (Office-ML 3022)
--
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens"
  ~ Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller