[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Evergreen Permissions descriptions/map/matrix documentation?

Deborah Hensler hensler at hslc.org
Thu May 12 17:03:28 EDT 2011

Hi, Robert,

1) I would love to see the copied permissions become actual
descriptions! I also don't like the varied terms used. Terminology
(allow or enable) should be consistent as well as plural or singular.

2) I was the person at the conference DIG meeting who brought up
listing the applicable permission(s) in the official documentation.
It's a project I'm in the very early stages of as we move toward
working with our first library. I volunteered at the meeting to take
that on and will share as soon as I'm further along.

Also, I have created a permission matrix, still to be tested, but I'm
not sure it's what you're looking for here. We have developed specific
permission groups and the matrix lists those groups (Circ Clerk, Circ
Staff, Circ Supervisor, etc.) and their permissions. If that is what
you're thinking of and would like to see it I'd be happy to share.
Right now it's untested and I'm guessing on some, like those with no
description.

On a different topic, I wonder if anyone else wonders about usability
of the current format of permissions, e.g,:
CREATE_ORG_TYPE
DELETE_ORG_TYPE
UPDATE_ORG_TYPE

Speaking as an old indexer, I would find it more helpful if they were
listed as:
ORG_TYPE_CREATE
ORG_TYPE_DELETE
ORG_TYPE_UPDATE

That would keep all of the permissions relating to one function
together instead of having to go through the list to find them. I
realize that's a bit beyond the scope of this discussion, but wanted
to put it out there to see if I'm the only one thinking this way.

Debbie

--
Deborah Hensler
HSLC ILS Trainer