[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Updating Attributions

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue May 17 15:55:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 03:44:48PM -0400, Jason Etheridge wrote:
> > Do you know when that was added to the wiki?
>
> Karen may remember.
>
> I think it was in January of 2010.
>
> See http://georgialibraries.markmail.org/thread/vvqbpdrq5d2wsa54

As one of the 18 "yes" votes to that proposal, yes. If task #4 ('Past
contributors to the Documentation Wiki should be notified by emails sent
to Evergreen community mailing lists and to the email address associated
with their docuwiki account of the new licensing terms and given a
reasonable amount of time to request that their contributions not be
included under those licensing terms') happened, and there were no
refusals, then we should be in reasonably good shape. (We could stand to
add an explicit footer on the wiki stating that all contributions are
licensed under CC-BY-SA, of course).

If it didn't happen, then yes, there is still some legal hygiene work to
do. Note that I am not a lawyer of any kind and this does not constitute
legal advice, merely my observation of similar processes at a number of
other projects.

For what it's worth, I bet the bulk of the copyright holders who
contributed to the wiki prior to January 7, 2010 could be counted on two
hands (and consequently asked if they object to the incorporation of
their content into the Evergreen documentation under an explicit
CC-BY-SA license). Also note that we could ask GPLS to explicitly
license any work performed by their employees prior to that date, given
how copyright in the US is by default assigned to the employer. After
that - how much do you realistically think would be left?