[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] DIG Repository Changes and Possible Approaches

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Wed May 25 13:57:54 EDT 2011

Hi DIGers,

This is just to note that the master home repository for the documentation has officially changed to (as of last week):
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen-DocBook.git;a=summary

However, the github repository  will be synchronized with the master repository:
https://github.com/rsoulliere/Evergreen-DocBook/

We will continue to work with the github repository to take advantage of some of its features especially the web interface which allows online updates to the repository.

This brings me to a question about approaches with 2 possibilities:

1) Centralized repository approach where users work in the main repository with some forking taking place on an individual request basis. -- kind of how it works now.

2) Decentralized "forked" teams approach where we have official github forks based on content parts of the documentation. E.g. Someone maintains a fork for the Admin team and another person maintains a fork for the OPAC team, etc... These forks will then be merged  into the main repository at http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen-DocBook.git and the main github fork at https://github.com/rsoulliere/Evergreen-DocBook/. These merges will take place at least daily if not several times a day.
Now it is possible for individuals to create their own forks and send pull requests to me to merge into the main repository. However, my goal here is to not have a lot of manual pull requests but to have an automated merging of the trusted team forks into the main repository on a schedule. The other advantage of these team forks is that it could, perhaps, encourage collaboration among teams working on various parts of the documentation. Then there is the argument that this approach takes fuller advantage of the git "decentralized version control system" features.
This second approach does not affect the procedures for contributing documentation. It really only effects "where" they will contribute.

Any ideas questions, comments, other suggestions?

Regards,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Systems Librarian
Mohawk College Library
robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Telephone: 905 575 1212 x3936
Fax: 905 575 2011

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please
notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
the original message.