[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Indexing, "Added in / available since", and leveloffsets

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu May 17 00:04:06 EDT 2012

Hey all:

In my most recent commit (http://goo.gl/rVwSD), I did three things that
might be of interest:

1. Used indexterm macros to add index entries for the piece of
   documentation in question, offering a few different access points:

indexterm:[hold-driven recalls]
indexterm:[circulation, recalls, hold-driven]

I think people interested in helping out DIG could probably do a lot of
good just adding index terms throughout the existing documentation to
build up a nice comprehensive index. That would give three main points
of entry to the docs: search (Google et al / "Find in this document" for
your PDF or ePub reader), table of contents, and the index.

I would encourage anyone adding a new chunk of documentation to consider
adding two or more indexterms as a starting point, as the index is going
to be pretty tiny otherwise :)

2. Added a top-level "Added in Evergreen 2.1" line to indicate when the
feature was added to Evergreen. This could be reworded as "Available
since Evergreen 2.1", the presentation could be different, etc, and it
might not even be of value (do people looking at the 2.2 docs care when
a feature was added?). If there's no perceived value in the publicly
visible version, we could IFDEF it out and use it only for those
interested in backporting docs from 2.2 to 2.1... or we could just take
it out entirely.

3. For any standalone file, I'm starting them at the top heading level
(====) and using leveloffset to include them at the lower level, rather
than forcing them to start at a lower level. My rationale for doing this
is that if we decide to move things down a level (say, to put both
"System Administration From the Staff Client" and "Local Administration"
under an overarching "Administration" heading), we won't have to go
through and change each of the headings of each file to reflect that
they're now one level lower.

Dan