[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Opensrf user and group for Apache

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 7 16:45:53 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 09:33:33PM +0000, Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was wondering if Apache for Evergreen still needs to run as
> opensrf:opensrf, or if opensrf:www-data is now acceptable? Newer
> installation instructions for 2.3, for example, only specify to change
> APACHE_RUN_USER to opensrf, not the APACHE_RUN_GROUP.
>
> Is anybody running Apache as opensrf:www-data, or is this an omission
> in the documentation?

Conifer runs Apache as opensrf:www-data - I don't think it has ever
needed to run as opensrf:opensrf, as long as either the group or the
user have the ability to read and write to particular file locations.
Perhaps you could point at the part of the documentation that concerns
you?

The bug that you opened (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1054178) after
the brief discussion at
http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-general/2012-September/007471.html
is tracking your request to try to remove the need for running Apache as
the opensrf user (or group) at all, and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1068912 offers one piece of
that puzzle (albeit towards a larger overall goal).