[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Need help with proofreading some EG 2.4 documentation

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Aug 6 12:16:43 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:30:32AM -0400, Yamil Suarez wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> >
> > Crazy idea to avoid bottlenecking, depending on how many files we're
> > talking about:
> >
> > 1. Push the draft docs into a git working "collab" branch
> >
> > 2. Put up a wiki page linking to each file (git version and HTML
> > version), and let people edit the wiki to show that they're working on /
> > have finished proofreading each file.
> >
> > 3a. If the proofreader also has the skills to push changes to git,
> > then they can push their changes to the collab branch
> >
> > 3b. Otherwise, they could add comments to the wiki page to indicate
> > where changes need to happen, and then someone who may not be yboston
> > would be able to make those changes
> >
> > Seem doable?
>

> For the record, I have about 28 individual Asciidoc files with 28
> matching HTML files (plus images).

Okay, it wasn't clear how many documents you were talking about. That
helps.

> I don't know if this approach will be worth it if I only have one or
> two people helping me, compared to the time it will take me to set it
> up.

Well, okay, I was considering jumping in. But if you only want one or
two people, then I guess not.

> Also, I will probably be the only one that is using Git in this
> group.

It will eventually have to go into git anyway, right? That said, if you
link to the HTML / Asciidoc versions from the wiki page, then non-git
users would be able to see what they need and their barrier of entry
would be reduced to knowing how to edit the wiki. And git users like me
would be able to jump in, make edits, run test builds to ensure that the
docs were integrated and built in PDF / epub, etc.

> I am still a Git newbie, and it is great to see ways that
> source control can be leveraged, while taking advantage of current
> community practices, to make our lives easier. I will keep this
> approach in mind for future use.

Okay. It does seem to me that you're basically reinventing what git
does, but via Google Drive/Dropbox, with a lot of centralized,
person-to-person coordination. The coordination means that the effort is
serialized so that only one or two people can work on it, rather than
five or ten people being able to each take one or two topics and
finishing it in a blitz. So for larger projects in the future, I think
it would be worthwhile trying to keep things as distributed as possible.

Of course, in the end just getting the work done is awesome! Thanks for
coordinating this and having driven the conversion effort with your
intern in the first place!