[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Need help with proofreading some EG 2.4 documentation

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Tue Aug 6 12:50:13 EDT 2013

There was a presentation by Melissa Lefebvre at EG 2013 called:HOW TO
GITIFY YOUR CHANGES: THE EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY WAY
It can be accessed here:
http://eg2013.sitka.bclibraries.ca/schedule/session-descriptions/

Great job on archiving presentations, BC Libraries Cooperative!

Grace

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Ruth Frasur <rfrasur at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like in 2012 at the International Conference (and this is me
> speaking from the fog of yesterday and not knowing most of what the heck
> was going on in 2012) that there was a session about using GIT.  Does this
> ring a bell?
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

>> on /

>> > For the record, I have about 28 individual Asciidoc files with 28
>> > matching HTML files (plus images).
>>
>> Okay, it wasn't clear how many documents you were talking about. That
>> helps.
>>
>> > I don't know if this approach will be worth it if I only have one or
>> > two people helping me, compared to the time it will take me to set it
>> > up.
>>
>> Well, okay, I was considering jumping in. But if you only want one or
>> two people, then I guess not.
>>
>> > Also, I will probably be the only one that is using Git in this
>> > group.
>>
>> It will eventually have to go into git anyway, right? That said, if you
>> link to the HTML / Asciidoc versions from the wiki page, then non-git
>> users would be able to see what they need and their barrier of entry
>> would be reduced to knowing how to edit the wiki. And git users like me
>> would be able to jump in, make edits, run test builds to ensure that the
>> docs were integrated and built in PDF / epub, etc.
>>
>> > I am still a Git newbie, and it is great to see ways that
>> > source control can be leveraged, while taking advantage of current
>> > community practices, to make our lives easier. I will keep this
>> > approach in mind for future use.
>>
>> Okay. It does seem to me that you're basically reinventing what git
>> does, but via Google Drive/Dropbox, with a lot of centralized,
>> person-to-person coordination. The coordination means that the effort is
>> serialized so that only one or two people can work on it, rather than
>> five or ten people being able to each take one or two topics and
>> finishing it in a blitz. So for larger projects in the future, I think
>> it would be worthwhile trying to keep things as distributed as possible.
>>
>> Of course, in the end just getting the work done is awesome! Thanks for
>> coordinating this and having driven the conversion effort with your
>> intern in the first place!

> Ruth Frasur

Grace Dunbar, Vice President
Equinox Software, Inc.  -  The Open Source Experts
gdunbar at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS    www.esilibrary.com