[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] FW: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question regarding circulation policies

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Wed Dec 18 11:43:25 EST 2013

Yamil,

I would argue that the documentation for this isn't incomplete or incorrect
but maybe a third category of "could be more robust."  When you get into
matchpoints and circ limits it can be pretty confusing, especially if
libraries need to clean up messy migrations.

"Yes, we must move over all 200 of these labels into circ mods."  6 months
later : "Why did we do that?"

I'm not arguing against this kind of material going into the documentation
(actually I like the idea of the documentation being really robust and
having it) but I had always had the impression that it was seen as being
more the domain of the WIKI.

Thoughts?

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:

> The same thought had crossed my mind a while ago, but I never followed
> through. I had started combing the mailing list for mentions of incomplete
> or incorrect documentation to then assign to DIG volunteers. I will make a
> note to use the mailing list to look for good answers that can serve as the
> base of new documentation. Though some great answers in the past have to be
> updated to account for changes in EG over the years.
>
> We can also use this type of thinking to come up with an FAQ for the
> general list. Like listing where t find the official installation docs.
>
> Yamil
>
> On Dec 18, 2013, at 10:20 AM, June Caola-Stokoe <jstokoe at cwmars.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Since participating in the Hackfest, I'm curious about this... As with the
> attached example,  I see many instances on the General email list that a
> very busy contributor generously takes the time to give a comprehensive
> answer to a question.  Would it be beneficial simply to add the text
> Launchpad to insure, if not already present, that the information resides
> in the documentation to perhaps become a starting point to fill it in.
> >
> > ... or maybe that's another action item for DIG to comb the General  list
> discussions to pull out items that are useful to add... or perhaps someone
> has already done it?
> >
> > June

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,
York County Library System

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me."
-- C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>