[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Guidelines for submitting documentation needs to Launchpad

swills at beyond-print.com swills at beyond-print.com
Fri Nov 15 09:23:58 EST 2013

Hi Kathy,

As usual you are all over it!  The one piece of feedback I would offer is for
the benefit of new people and people like me, who keep having to get reengaged
in the project because of time spent on other unrelated tasks.   Would it be
reasonable to add a section on how to make sure the issue one wishes to report
is not already addressed.  i.e. How do I search to see if my bug already exists.
 This could just be a single sentence with a link to the wiki section that
already explains how to do this.   I am not looking on LP right now but my
recollection is that I always have to poke around a little in order to find out
if my issue is unique.  Even if I'm wrong and it is very easy to search LP these
days, a reminder sentence might still be in order?

Thanks,
Steve

On November 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please excuse cross postings.
>
> Over the past few months, DIG has been discussing the use of Launchpad
> to identify documentation needs. We've tried a couple of trial bugs to
> see how the process works, and I think the process has gone well for
> those trial bugs. However, the trials have also brought up some
> questions on how to tag documentation bugs, how and when to use things
> like the Fix Released status, etc. I thought it would be useful if we
> had some written guidelines to follow for using Launchpad to track
> documentation needs.
>
> I posted a draft set of guidelines this morning at
> http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:lp_docs.
>
> I'm hoping to get some feedback from fellow DIG members as well as from
> the developers/bug wranglers who are already using Launchpad on a daily
> basis to track coding needs.
>
> The one question I struggled with was the extent to which we want to use
> Launchpad features like milestones, statuses, importance etc. In a
> previous DIG meeting when this question was first raised, I recall that
> some of the bug wranglers had recommended against using milestones for
> documentation (too much of a maintenance overhead?), but is there a use
> for some of these other fields? I think the "Assigned to" field can be
> useful for people who want to indicate that they are working on a
> particular doc.
>
> I also plan to work today on a central wiki page that will provide
> direct links to the documentation bugs, broken down by different
> functional areas (circulation, system configuration, opac etc.) If we
> use consistent tagging when submitting these Launchpad reports, we
> should be able to easily link people to those documentation needs
> relevant to their area of interest.
>
> Let me know what you think!
>
> Kathy
>
> --
> Kathy Lussier
> Project Coordinator
> Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative
> (508) 343-0128
> klussier at masslnc.org
> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kmlussier

Tax Tip: Most deductions are only for the extreamly wealthy, so BE extreamly
wealthy. - Steve Colbert