[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Proposal to give editing privileges to fellow DIG member for editing official documentation

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Wed Oct 16 14:41:48 EDT 2013

Hello,

I would like to recommend a DIG member to have access to commit/edit access to official docs. As I thought about this it dawn on me that this process remains very informal. For now, I would will use this email to the list to move my suggestion forward.

I would like to publicly propose that we give access to  Remington Steed (IRC: remingtron) from Calvin College. In my opinion, I think two qualities needed to grant this privilege is that the person has made considerable contributions to DIG already and that they are able to use basic Git features. At this point Remington  that has already contributed a good amount of documentation and documentation fixes. He also knows his way around with Git, skills he has recently put to use helping Dan Wells prepare for the EG 2.5 release. Please let me know if anyone has any reservations about this.

Eventually I think DIG needs to slowly formalize how to give commit/edit access to official docs, but a mailing list announcement could be a start. I have already spoken with the Evergreen Git repository admins and they will be checking with the existing DIG members before giving commit/edit privileges to new members.

For the record, right now only four DIG members have commit/edit access to the official docs through what is called the "main Git repository."[1]  This is the Git repository that also holds the EG source code, but the selected DIG members can only make changes to the "docs" directory. I am one of those members with access, and so does Robert Soulliere, Kathy Lussier, Hilary Caws-Elwitt, and Angela Kilsdonk. I created a new table on our members wiki page to document this information.[2]

Thanks and comments welcome,
Yamil

[1] http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=Evergreen.git;a=summary

[2] http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:digparticipants#dig_members_with_access_to_edit_official_docs_in_main_git_repository