[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Configuring self check behavior

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Mon Aug 18 17:41:59 EDT 2014

While configuring self-check, I ran into the same problem as described on http://markmail.org/message/xsql2yx5bw6turc5.

The barcode logins only worked if the barcode was the same as the username. At first I thought I was dealing with a bug. While trying to debug, I saw that during self-check login prior to making auth call the application was making a call to check a library setting in the code referred to as "opac.barcode_regex”. Through the client I saw two settings that involved barcode regular expressions:
"GUI Regex for barcodes on patron registration" and "Global Patron barcode format". The latter one was not set. I set it to be the same as the "GUI Regex for barcodes on patron registration" and that fixed the problem.

Without the "Global Patron barcode format" setting the self-check login was always passed on as username. This obviously “worked" when barcodes were the same as usernames, but not when barcodes were different. With the setting configured, barcodes were recognized as such and passed on a barcodes.

Perhaps it would be useful to mention this detail somewhere on http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.6/_self_checkout.html, something like:

---

Configuring self check behavior

Several library settings control the behavior of the self check:
[…]
Patron barcode format
Configure the "Patron barcode format” setting to match your library's barcode format requirements. Self-check authentication by barcode will not work properly without this setting.

---

Aleksey Lazar
IS Developer and Integrator - PALS
http://www.mnpals.org/