[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Project ideas for Outreach Project for Women

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Sep 2 14:44:12 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Perhaps we can discuss this at Thursday's DIG meeting, but with the OPW
deadline looming, it would be great if we could get some of this
discussion done via e-mail.

As you may have seen, the starter projects I put on the wiki page for
potential OPW projects were both related to documentation. I wanted to
share my thinking on each of these projects with the rest of DIG to see
if others agree that these are worthwhile projects to pursue and also to
see if there are people who might be willing to step up as mentors for
the project. Since mentoring can take quite a bit of time, I would like
to see at least two mentors for a project before officially listing it
as a potential project.

Also, if you have a documentation-related project in mind, feel free to
add it to the discussion.

The first project idea I posted is to bring somebody in to take a
birds-eye view of our official docs and make improvements in any or all
of the following areas: the doc site's stylesheets, the organization of
content, the layout of the content (for example, maybe displaying more
than one section on each HTML page), improved navigation, etc.

A while back, Dan Scott shared a link in IRC to the PosgreSQL
documentation site, and I was thinking that something as simple as
providing links along the top to help users to navigate to the same page
for other releases would be a big improvement, particularly for users
who enter the site through a Google search and don't necessarily know
what release they are looking at. Those were the types of changes I
thought might come about from this project.

One thing I like about the project is that, although an intern would
need some familiarity with Evergreen if looking at ways to reorganize
content on the doc site, they could make a lot of improvements to the
way documentation is presented without needing to know the ins and outs
of how Evergreen works.

I added my name as a possible co-mentor for the above project.

The other project I identified was for an intern to work on
documentation on circulation for the new web client. However, I'm on the
fence with this project. I added it because it is a large documentation
project that needs to be done. However, I think the first project would
be much more interesting for a potential intern and require a bit more
creativity.

What does everyone else think of these projects? Are there other
documentation projects we should add to the list?

Thanks!
Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator