[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Barcode Completion Docs - Barcode formats

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Mon May 18 11:15:19 EDT 2015

No padding character or zero length means "attach prefix/suffix to
input and look that up".

That may be useful for things like adding a single character to the
front of scanned barcodes, regardless of length, such as when
migrated/imported data may contain a leading or trailing character. Or
both.

Possible examples with length set to 0 and/or padding not set:

Prefix of "a" and suffix of "b" when a barcode scanner was previously
outputting those characters around the barcode.

Prefix of "d" because migrated data includes that character but new
scans will only include the digits.

Note that "Want to fill out to 14 digits" and "want to check if it
exists with a d in front" at the same time could require three rules.
One for "add the d regardless of what was entered", one for "fill out
to 14 digits without a d", and one for both (length 15, prefix has the
d in front of whatever the normal prefix is from filling out to 14
digits).

--
Thomas Berezansky
Assistant Network Administrator