[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Reminder: DIG Meeting on Thursday

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Mon Jan 16 10:17:23 EST 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Remington Steed <rjs7 at calvin.edu> wrote:
> - Ask Developers about new requirements for Web Client (e.g.
> "Firefox/Chrome only, won't work in IE or Edge" ??).  Meaning: I've
> heard rumblings that the new web client doesn't work (or is at least
> unsupported) in Internet Explorer or Edge.

Development of the web staff client is presently targeting support for
Chrome and Firefox; there is at present no plans for official support
for IE, Edge, Safari, or other browsers. That's not to say that the
browser client will necessarily explode if you try running it in Edge
or whatever, but for now, anybody adopting the web client would be
well advised to stick with Chrome or Firefox.

By the way, these are not  new requirements, but may not have been
broadly communicated.

> And we should ask the devs (especially Bill Erickson)

Bill of course is a good person to talk with about the web client, but
I would like to remind folks that a number of developers are involved
in writing the web staff client, and I would encourage you all to
continue to ask questions openly as you are doing here.

> if there are other system requirements that need to be loudly stated.

One point to mention as far as supported web browsers are concerned:
folks should be running the *current* versions of Firefox or Chrome.
This is likely not a big deal for many organizations, as Chrome's and
Firefox's automatic updates are pretty streamlined nowadays, but if a
library has intentionally disabled automatic browser updates, the web
staff client may not work.  For example, the browser client has no
chance whatsoever of working in Firefox before 6.0 (which is a pretty
old version) or Chrome before 5.0.375. Note that the version numbers
I'm mentioning are examples; I think it would be preferable to just
specify "current stable release" of Chrome or Firefox as the required
version. If it turns out there's a demand for specific minimum version
numbers, we'd want to pick more recent ones.

As far as Hatch is concerned, it's targeted for Linux, recent Windows
versions, and OS X.  I believe that at present the plan is to bundle a
JDK with the installer, so we shouldn't need to document a minimum
Java version.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Infrastructure and Added Services Manager