[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Spell checking the docs

Remington Steed remington.steed at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:17:46 EDT 2018

Hi Docs People,

I took inspiration from Ben Ostrowsky's spell checking work in 2013, and
I've added a custom word list to the docs repository.  This should make it
easier for anyone to run "aspell" (Linux spell checker) on the
documentation.  We could even build it into the automated test server.  For
now, here are steps and some commands for spell checking the docs using the
new word list:

- Go into the docs/ directory.
- Copy the word list to your home directory (making a backup of your
existing word list, if you have one):
  - cp --backup .aspell.en.pws ~/
- Run 'aspell' over all AsciiDoc files, except release notes. Don't need to
create backup files, since we're under version control. This runs the
interactive spellchecker; use it to fix incorrect words, or add new correct
words to the wordlist:
  - for f in $(find . -name '*.adoc' -and ! -name 'RELEASE*'); do aspell
check --ignore-case --dont-backup $f; done
- Review your changes:
  - git diff
- Commit spelling corrections in one commit. Noteworthy changes should be
included in the commit message.
- Commit changed word list in a separate commit.

Questions?  Improvements?  Where on the wiki should we post these
instructions?

Remington