[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Introduction - new installation

Larry Levesque ka1vgm at levektronix.com
Sat Apr 7 08:37:20 EDT 2007

Just to break up the subject line a little.

I have been an avid Linux user for 6 years. I gave up M$ just this year
completely. I found that everything I would ever need for software is
available for free in Linux.  The last   hold out was a business
software package and Quasar fits the bill.

My reason for being here is that the local library is looking to
automate their systems.  Put all of their books in the computer. They
asked me (being the local computer geek) if I could help.  They asked me
what I thought about LibrarySoft.  I immediately looked it up and saw
the $500.00 minimum price tag and started my search for an open source
solution.

Evergreen/Open-ILS looks like the solution we are looking for. I am
attempting to install it in my Centos box but am having problems. Is
there anyone out there with a working system that has or can build a
live CD with all the necessary software included? This could the be used
to directly install the system to the hard drive and not leave someone
trying for days to correct all the dependencies.

By far, the dependencies problem is the most frustrating part of
installing software on Linux. Maybe an installer program that includes
every referenced program  would work as well.

I am not set on Centos, so any free version of Linux would work.
Any help  would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Levesque