[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] sorting catalog search results

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 20:04:17 EST 2007

On 2/20/07, Mike Kastellec <mkastellec at athenslibrary.org> wrote:
> I'll second that as an excellent suggestion. Staff would also benefit
> from this feature, as we use the catalog even more than patrons and it's
> easy to forget to enter a sort criteria before searching.

Agreed, though this surely won't go into production code before v1.2
sometime this spring.

Sorting is already directly possible (though under-documented) in the
SlimPAC by using the sort and dir search modifiers:

http://gapines.org/opac/extras/opensearch/1.1/PINES/html-full/keyword/%22harry+potter%22+sort%3Aauthor+dir%3Aasc

or the searchSort and searchSortDir url params (which are nominally
exposed in the OpenSearch description document):

http://gapines.org/opac/extras/opensearch/1.1/PINES/html-full/keyword/%22harry+potter%22?searchSort=author&searchSortDir=asc

and a similar URL can currently be constructed for the main OPAC:

http://gapines.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=%22harry%20potter%22&l=1&d=0&s=author&sd=asc

Right now, the main OPAC doesn't have any way to specify this, and two
drop-downs for sort type and direction will take up a good bit of
screen space ... any suggestions as to where they should go?

-miker

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander at gmail.com