[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] routing books

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 14:28:10 EST 2007

Hi John:

Thanks for the interest in Evergreen!  I'm sure you will find it quite
useful.  If and when you start to work with it, please do not hesitate
to utilize the open-ils-dev and open-ils-general lists for assistance.

Evergreen is extremely scalable.  Being built upon OpenSRF (which was
also developed by the PINES staff), servers can be added and dropped
extremely easily.  There's no problem running it on a single server,
nor is there problems running it on many.  In the blog archives,
there's a small virtual tour of the PINES datacenter outlining their
particular setup.

Provided a well-planned server environment, Evergreen should scale
very well to a nationwide area..  Of course, there's politics involved
where a lot of libraries wouldn't likely use an ILS shared on a
national scale (at least in the US at this current time).

Protocols such as NCIP and Z39.50 are intended to aide in ILL,
although there are reasons why they aren't implemented to their full
extent (usually comes back to politics).  Of course, Evergreen
implements both of these protocols.  And, being Open Source, it is
possible to add other methods/protocols (widely-used open standards
will likely be included eventually from stock if not already, but if
you use a proprietary protocol you can implement it).

Thank you for your interest in Evergreen.  Please continue to utilize
the resources of this list.  Feedback is appreciated if you have any
comments or concerns.

Sincerely Yours,

Don McMorris
Salem NY