academic libraries Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers

Ann-Marie Breaux ABreaux at ybp.com
Thu Mar 29 10:54:08 EDT 2007

Hi everyone - I joined this list a couple weeks ago along with many
other folks and am learning lots from the recent posts.

Our interest in library integrated systems relates mainly to the tech
services side of things - acquisitions and cataloging - and not so much
to circulation, OPAC, etc. From a supplier's perspective, my main
concern about open source is that as users develop their acquisitions
solutions, there will be some attempt to follow EDI standards and
practices, and not to develop too many different solutions to the same
task. We currently accept orders from customers in several EDI formats
as well as an array of non-standard formats, and deliver MARC records,
order responses, and electronic invoicing in similar ways. As the
Evergreen community builds its acquisitions module, I'm hoping it will
work with some of the existing EDI standards (EDIFACT and XML being the
primary international ones) and web services.

Building on Jason's list below, another differentiator for academic
libraries is approval plans. One mindset that I've found as I talk with
systems vendors is that acquisitions is mainly perceived as a task of
pushing orders to suppliers and receiving data/materials from suppliers
a proprietary or precoordinated PO number for bibliographic or
electronic invoice matching.

However, many academic libraries use approval plans which result in
automatic shipments from the suppliers not in response to any order from
the library. When the materials are received, generally a bib, item,
order, invoice/payment and sometimes holdings record all have to be
built in the local system, preferably in some sort of batch way so that
the library staff does not have to do much item-by-item work. On the
public library side, approval plans are not used as heavily, but they do
use automatic shipment plans for leased materials, hot authors, hot
children's series, etc., so I would think the needs are similar.

As the acquisitions system starts to be developed, I hope that it will
be done with some input from academic and public library suppliers.
Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Ann-Marie Breaux
Vice President, Academic Service Integration
YBP Library Services, plus Baker & Taylor and J.A. Majors

phone/fax: (678) 445-5720
vmail: (800) 258-3774 x3504
e-mail: abreaux at ybp.com

GA address: 131 Dockside Downs Drive, Woodstock, GA  30189
NH address: 999 Maple Street, Contoocook, NH  03229