[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SPAM: Belated introduction, and a couple of questions

Fred.King at Medstar.net Fred.King at Medstar.net
Thu May 3 15:02:22 EDT 2007

Gentlemen and Mesdames,

Greetings, all. I'm Fred King, and I'm one of the medical librarians at
the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC. I've actually been
lurking on this list for a few months, ever since my boss talked with one
of the Evergreen folks last year and asked me to look into it. We're a
large urban hospital with a collection of about 8000 books and maybe twice
that number of bound journals. Our monthly circulation sometimes ventures
into the high two figures; we also track in-house use, which is usually in
the low three figures. To put it another way, we don't exactly tax the
capacity of our current ILS.

Even before our current ILS vendor announced they were making Large
Changes in their product, we were interested in exploring other options;
now I'm looking at all the features offered by the new 'n' improved system
and I'm hearing Ginny Slade saying "Just what we need, a $50,000 car to go
to Burger King in." [1] We don't need to catalog books in Hebrew and
Chinese--although we have residents from all over the world, most of our
books are in English. The only items that aren't are some titles on
medical Spanish, and even then, I wasn't expecting a kind of Spanish
acquisition. The change to their new system sounds like a major
expenditure of time and effort, and if we're going to install a new system
*anyway,* we may as well try, or at least look at, something new. I'm
biased in favor of open-source software; I've used OpenOffice.org for
several years, and I like it a lot more than that other office package.
The fact that it fits within my price range [2] is an additional
advantage.

One problem I foresee with our implementing Evergreen is that, with a few
exceptions, the folks in our IT department don't exactly know where their
towels are. Last month they moved our shared directory to a new server,
and it took four days, a service request, and quite a few e-mails and
phone calls before they set the permissions so we had access to the
folder. It then took another five days, two service requests, and more
e-mails and phone calls before we had access to the files *within* the
folder. So if we're going to be running a Linux server, the person who's
going to be doing it is probably going to be, um, me. That's fine, since
I'm interested in learning a lot more about Linux, but I'll have to fit it
in with my other stuff, such as maintaining two dozen public computers in
the library, being sysadmin (sort of) for our current ILS, taking care of
the online serials [3], being the first-string resource person for the
staff computers and all that runs on them, the fifth-string backup AV
person, keeper of the official statistics, webmaster, a reference
librarian for three hours each day [4], and the traditional "other duties
as required." [5] Oh yes, and on the weekends when I have the energy and
venue, I take my cards and prints around to local craft shows to sell. All
of this may explain why I'm so late with an introduction, and why I ended
up in the emergency room with chest pains a while back. [6]

So, if anybody's still reading this, I have a few questions: I've used
Unix shell accounts, and I've installed a couple of varieties of Linux on
machines in the past, but my knowledge is rusty and I've never set up a
server before. I have a few extra computers in my basement that I can
experiment with, as well as a few network hubs, a wireless router, etc.
[7] I also have a book catalog to play around with, if I can figure out a
way to move it to Evergreen from the Microsoft Access version it’s
currently in. Since I'm a librarian and book collector, my inclination is
to start with a book. Any recommendations for a good overview? And what
variety of Linux would you recommend for not-quite-but-almost newbies?

Thanks,

Fred King
Medical Librarian, Washington Hospital Center
fred.king at medstar.net

[1] Updated to account for inflation.
[2] Free.
[3] I never wanted to be a serials librarian; I wanted to be a lumberjack.
[4] Down from 4.5 before we got another person
[5] In the theatre, this is known as "verstaility." Here in the library,
we call it "economy."
[6] Not a heart attack, though nobody knows exactly what's causing it.
Probably iatrogenic.
[7] At least, I think I do. Right now everything's buried under piles of
stuff for the show on Sunday.

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it
is addressed . The information contained in this communication may
also be protected by legal privilege , federal law or other
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication , you are hereby notified that any distribution,
dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please
immediately delete and destroy all copies of this message and
please immediately notify us of the error by separate communication
. Thank you.