[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers

Kevin Kierans kevink at tnrdlib.bc.ca
Mon May 7 12:01:04 EDT 2007

Hi I'm Kevin Kierans.
I'm the Director of Libraries for the Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Library System.
Its headquarters is in Kamloops, British Columbia, in the interior of the
province.
(about a 4 hour drive from Vancouver, BC)

I used to have the time to play with programming and such stuff (I learned
Perl 4 by
writing an RA application called The Reader's Robot.)  No time for such
stuff now.
Budgets, spreadsheets, reports to the board etc....

We are one of the libraries in BC considering Evergreen.  We are using a
legacy system
(written in VaxBasic!) as our main ILS.  We've grafted a php/mysql "thing"
on top of
it so that our patrons see something somewhat like everyone else's OPAC.
http://webopac.tnrdlib.bc.ca/webOpac/index.php
The data is exchanged
between the two with nightly data dumps and with a piece of middleware
called Connx.
http://www.connx.com

The lack of serials/acq modules doesn't matter as much for us.  We've
written our
own acq (perl/mysql) that works fine, and we've "faked out" our ILS to
handle
(sort of) our magazines.

We're looking forward to giving this all a try.  Our IT staff (and I) are
not afraid
of the idea of OS.  We like the idea!

Kevin