[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] How does the software work?

David J. Fiander djfiander at fastmail.fm
Mon May 14 09:38:49 EDT 2007

Jason Etheridge wrote:
> Hey Michael, thanks!  Could you explain what what a good textbook
> manager component would do?  I'd love to get more discussion going on
> features Evergreen is missing or could use improvement in.  Others
> might be interested too; even something specific for a school library
> might help with a bigger picture or framework that could work well
> with special, public and higher ed libraries.

Jason,

I know that one thing we depend on at MPOW is the 'course reserves' module,
which is basically a special search interface for the OPAC that students
can use to search by course name or instructor to find reserve items.

It's not really clear to me that it needs to be a big complicated module
(although the system needs to support a certain level of 'ad hoc'
cataloguing for transient binders of course notes that don't require lots
of description).  More than likely, course reserves could be handled quite
well by some sort of tagging support.

I know that some public libraries have used the course reserves module to
implement book clubs.

- David