[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Corporate Software Library

Eric.Elliott at l-3com.com Eric.Elliott at l-3com.com
Fri May 25 12:42:40 EDT 2007

<<SNIP>>
> To my knowledge, there isn't anybody in that geographic area
> with a production installation of Evergreen.

D'oh!!

<<SNIP>>
> I'm unsure what you mean when you say "software library",
> whether it deals with physical media, software available on a
> LAN/WAN, license tracking, or a little bit of everything.
> Evergreen should be able to support it all, though.

Yes!  ;-)
Software asset management in all of it's glory is the end goals.  This
is includes having resources (media, manuals, etc.) readily available
when needed and not sitting in a cube somewhere.

<<SNIP>>
> Every version of every title usually gets a MARC record known
> as a "Bibliographic Record".  Examples for your case might be
> "RedHat Enterprise Linux 3", "RedHat Enterprise Linux 2",
> "Microsoft Office 2003", etc... The "Bib" usually contains
> the title, publisher, media format, and anything you can
> think of! <<SNIP>>

Is this information readily available?  I am not sure where to look and
have read conflicting statements about OCLC and NY library system for
example as some attempt to gather the information.  If I am not using it
for gain but as a library (even though a corp entity), is that an issue?

> A second part of cataloging has to do with the individual
> items.  Once you create the Bibliographic record telling
> about the product... The Item record tells about a specific
> copy (where it's located, what it's price was, etc.).  If you
> have physical media, you can use item records for this
> purpose.  You could also use item records to keep track of
> where your licenses are assigned, if you so desired.  It's
> quite flexible.
>
> There is a third part to cataloging called "Authority
> records".  These records are intended to standardize
> information in the bibliographic records (for example,
> "Microsoft Corp" may have an authority record so that every
> program by Microsoft has the standardized
> format/spelling/etc. of the name).

So much to learn, so little time and room in the noggin!

Thank you again for your time everyone.

eselliott

~~~~~
Eric Shayne Elliott
L-3 Communications, Link Simulation & Training