[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] general questions - small implementation

Graham Saathoff gsaathoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 01:41:01 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Evergreen seems like a great solution for what I'm trying to do, but I have
a few questions -- hopefully I can get an answer from someone who
understands it better than I do.

I'm the technical contact/sysadmin for a small housing cooperative (about 40
members in 4 houses).  We're looking to move to a more robust library
management system for our library, which has about 4,000 volumes.  Our
network and most of our workstations run Linux, and most users are
comfortable with open source software.

I want to create a system that will allow members to check books out of our
central library with a barcode scanner.  Since all of our holdings are owned
by individual members, I want a system that can send an automated email
message to the owner of a book when it is checked out (with information
about the patron who has taken the book) so that it can be retrieved if
necessary.

Search by author/title is also important, but not as critical as the above
requirement.  Most members of the coop take a book out of the library
because it interests them, not because they searched for it (as I said
above, we don't have many books availalble)

Can Evergreen handle this?  Any ideas about equipment needed or estimates of
roll-out time would be helpful.  I'm very comfortable with linux and have
managed several other networks in the past.  Is there a specific skillset
that I need beyond basic networking / scripting experience that I might
need?

Thanks,
Graham