[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hostname/Logging in problems with staff client

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:50:00 EDT 2007

On 10/10/2007, Sebastian Clarke <scl at llgc.org.uk> wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I am a systems administrator at the National Library of Wales, and I am
> currently in the very preliminary stages of testing/evaluating
> evergreen. I am having some problems however and I wondered if someone
> maybe able to give me a push in the right direction.
>
> I have installed the server software and staff client and the server is
> running and appears to be listening on all the appropriate ports.
> However when I start the staff client for the first time, and enter a
> server hostname, the check on this hostname fails everytime.
> Furthermore, when I attempt to log in, I get network failure with
> 'method=open-ils.auth.authenticate.init.params=["admin"]" and after
> selecting "proceed offline" I get auth.session.init Network/Server
> Problem. I am running evergreen v1.2, anyone have any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian
>
> --
>
> Sebastian Clarke
> Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau              Systems Administrator
> Isadran Cyfrifiaduron                   Computer Section
> Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru            National Library of Wales
> Aberystwyth,                            Aberystwyth
> Ceredigion,                             Ceredigion
> SY23 3BU                                SY23 3BU
>
> Ffôn / Phone: 01970 632422        Ffacs / Fax: 01970 632422
> EBost / Email: scl at llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk
> Yn siarad drosof fy hun, nid LlGC   -  Speaking personally, not for NLW

Hi Sebastian:

Welcome to Evergreen!

A couple of ideas:

Are you, by any chance, running into the same problem that I finally
managed to track down to a problem with the libmemcache dependency
(http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-general/2007-September/000388.html)?

The short version is that, on Gentoo at least, the packaged version of
libmemcache (1.2.4) has memory corruption problems that are resolved
by moving to a later version of libmemcache (1.4.0-rc2 in my case). At
the time, I was only experiencing the problems running Evergreen on
top of the development version of OpenSRF, and the problems were
maddeningly intermittent - but there's a good chance the same problem
could manifest if one is using an old version of libmemcache with the
OpenSRF 0.9 release.

A second idea:

Is your web server up and running? The staff client needs to access
XUL files that are served up by the Web server, so testing a hostname
will always result in failure unless it can find the XUL files it
expects to find on the Web server. Can you try logging in to the admin
account through the OPAC interface instead?

If this doesn't help resolve the problems you're running into, feel
free to tell us what Linux distribution you're running on, version of
OpenSRF you built Evergreen against, results of 'ps wax | grep open',
and to crank up your loglevel settings, package up your log files and
config files and send them to the list for dissection :)

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University