[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] In the pipeline

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 13:39:07 EDT 2007

On 21/06/2007, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:

> So we're coming up on the 1.2.0 release of Evergreen, which is quite a
> milestone.  The 1.1 branch has diverged a good bit from 1.0, both on
> the front end
>
>   * I18N is beginning to look real-ish in the OPAC
>   * there's a shiny new report templating interface
>   * many things have been sped up
>
> and on the back end
>
>   * installation is much less rough
>   * the indexing is more flexible
>   * the low-level storage access is more powerful
>
> And that's not even getting to all the cleanup and bug-fix patches
> that have been sent to us.
>
> There are still a couple things we want to get in before we cut the
> first RC.  There may be some OpenSRF reorganization (it's its own
> project now) and there are some security and permission enhancements I
> really want to get done.
>
> After we get to that point, we have big plans for the 1.3 dev branch
>
>   * full I18N
>   * tons of OPAC enhancements (many of which will move back into 1.2)
>   * Java client (and probably server) support
>   * simpler index configuration
>   * full NACO-normalized authority linking and tracing
>   * hold freezing
>   * faceting and new browse interfaces
>   * exposing of the advanced search syntax
>
> just to name a few.  We'll probably see some early betas of the ACQ
> and serials systems during the 1.3 cycle, though I'm not going to
> promise that for 1.4 -- which will be out some time in the fall, if
> all goes well.
>
> Anyway, I wanted to get this out there (thanks, Dan, for poking me
> about this -- and I'm only a week late!) so that others can start to
> get a feel for where we're heading.  We've a long road ahead, but we
> have a good working base.  As more of you get involved in every area
> progress will speed up.
>
> It's obvious to me that we're on the right track, and I can't wait to
> see what we all come up with in the future!
>
> Thank you, all of you, and keep up the great work.
>
> --
> Mike Rylander

I'm going to poke again -- apologies :)

Since we got the 1.2.0 release out in September (huzzah!), naturally I would
expect to see the 1.4 release pushed out from a Fall time frame to a Winter
time frame. Are we still good with the plans for the 1.3 development branch?
Certainly the i18n support is coming along, the Java client / server support
is pretty much in place, a bunch of the hold freezing stuff has been going
into trunk, and there has been some movement on the acq/ser system (albeit
not much code that people can play with yet). On the simplified index
configuration, I'm not sure if we were aiming higher than simply dropping
the stopwords (which certainly was a big step forward). I'm also not sure
where we are with the NACO-normalized authority linking and tracing work; I
imagine this would sync up with whatever authority management interface we
would be able to develop. I confess to not knowing what "exposing the
interface (as I half-assedly did earlier this week)? Or documenting REST
interfaces & unAPI for generating XML search results / MARC record export /
other hidden gems? The latter would certainly be cool.

I'd also like to point out that the "Development Roadmap" linked from the
front page of the wiki (
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=feature_list) is rather dangerously
out of date for those who might not be following the mailing lists. I was
promised flying cars, dangit!

Would this be a good time to revisit the roadmap and sync up the wiki entry
with reality? Ideally, each entry in the roadmap would link to a fuller
description of the plans for that particular entry (so that those with the
required chops could jump in and help push that piece of the project
forward).

Perhaps we could set up a recurring monthly or bimonthly appointment to
revisit the development roadmap and adjust it back to reality... You never
know when someone will have been beavering away on a project on their own
for a while and suddenly have a telephony system to merge into trunk :) I
realize this isn't a particularly agile approach, but communication (within
the development team, within the community, and externally to those
interested in the project) is a huge piece of any open source project, and
until there are more community members helping us with that communication
(here's another call for an "Evergreen Weekly News" writer and for
http://open-ils.org/blog writers), we're going to have to keep shouldering
that burden.

--
Dan Scott