[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Cataloging Module: a few questions

Bilodeau, Robert bilodeau.robert at uqam.ca
Tue Oct 30 16:16:26 EDT 2007

Hi to all,

we've been testing some functionnalities of the Evergreen Cataloging module especially in the creation and management of bibliographic records,
and through this process, some questions were raised,
here are a few (we don't want to bury you with all our questions!) of them :

When you're creating a lot of original bibliographic records,
we believe it would be useful to have the copy/paste function capable of copying more than one subfield.
It is currently limited to only one subfield. Are you planning to extend this function beyond a single subfield?

Is it possible to import a MARC file containing hundreds of bibliographic records into Evergreen?
Sometimes, we're collecting MARC records coming from a large collection and we're mass editing the records (deleting fields, adding fields, translating note fields into French, etc.) before the integration of all the records into the catalog.

While working in the Cataloging module, is it possible to delete a bibliographic record?
We were unable to find this function.

The Validate button (or SHIFT+F10) seems to check the linking of the bibliographic fields that are controlled by authority records (1XX, , 6XX, 7XX, , etc) to the corresponding authority records. Can we add (through creation or import) or edit an authority record?
I know there is currently not an interface allowing the edition of authority records, but how do you proceed with the management of your authority files?

Just out of curiosity, if there is a change in the spelling in the 1xx field of the authority record, will the system make this change appear to all the corresponding fields of the bibliographic records?

Is there a local field that retains all the edition history of the record (user and date) once it is in the catalog?

Is there a way to get right through the bibliographic record without transiting first through a search in the catalog?
For example, with the TCN, one could access immediately to the bibliographic record and begin the edition work.

Regards,
and thanks for answering

  Robert BILODEAU
  Bibliothécaire
  Responsable du service du catalogage
  Services techniques -- Service des bibliothèques
  Université du Québec à Montréal
  Téléphone: (514) 987-3000, poste 3516
  Télécopieur: (514) 987-0285
  bilodeau.robert at uqam.ca <mailto:bilodeau.robert at uqam.ca>