[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] User/Group permissions

Edward Corrado corrado at tcnj.edu
Tue Apr 1 12:25:41 EDT 2008

----- "Mike Rylander" <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Edward Corrado <corrado at tcnj.edu>
> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> >  As part of my testing, I am trying to modify user permissions to
> see what I can  and cannot limit users to being able to do. However,
> I'm having problems editing permissions. When I go into the User
> permissions in the Evergreen Client, it doesn't take any updates to
> the permissions (it appears to ignore them). When I try to change the
> permissions I want in the group permissions editor using the cgi
> scripts, the ones I want to change are grayed out. What am I missing?
> >

> Permissions are additive, so the ones that are grayed out are
> assigned
> by an ancestor group.  I'm not sure why you're not able to assign
> user-specific permissions, but maybe with more info ... does it work
> as the admin user?

Nope.

> Does the user you're using have the grant flag for
> the permissions you're attempting to give at the range you want to
> give them?

I think maybe the problem is that I want to take away permissions, not grant additional ones;  at least that explains the group issue. I am trying to "lower" the permissions. More specifically, the last thing I tried was to take away the permission to update system wide MARC records.  I am trying to create a rather limited cataloging profile. When I hit update on the user, it will update the location, but whichever permission I am trying to edit doesn't get updated (it just says 0 permissions update (or something similar to that, I am at the reference desk, so I am doing this from memory).

I guess at some point, I'll need to figure how to do this via groups, but for now I just want to see what is possible to restrict via the client (versus what would need to be done elsewhere(. Also, it seems that this method would make testing much easier then constantly adding/updating groups (which I believe requires autogen.sh to be re-run).

Edward