[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OPAC searching (using staff client, at least)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 00:42:27 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian, for what's its worth, here's my attempt at answering the
>  questions I felt I could tackle, or comments on your questions.

And I'll augment Dan's answers and comments some.

>  On 03/04/2008, Bryan Baldus <bryan.baldus at quality-books.com> wrote:
>  >  2. Does Keyword search not include the publisher? Is there a way to search by publisher aside from using the MARC Expert Search?
>
>  Nope. I suppose one could create an index specifically for publisher,
>  though. The process of defining your own index would make for a great
>  "how-to" document.

(This also addresses Jonathan's question.)

You can create more index definitions, but before 1.4 you have to do
it directly in the database (no non-experimental friendly UI).  If
you're creating such a definition by hand but you already have a pile
of records in the database, you can populate the relevant search
tables with data from metbib.full_rec.  For instance, adding a
keyword|publisher index would look like this:

-- Step 1) Define the index for new/updated records
INSERT INTO config.metabib_field VALUES (DEFAULT, 'keyword',
'publisher', '//marc:datafield[@tag="260"]/marc:subfield[@code="b"]',
1, 'marc', true, false);

-- Step 2) Get the new index def (metabib field) id
SELECT id FROM config.metabib_field WHERE field_class = 'keyword' AND
name = 'publisher'; -- returns, say, 15

-- Step 3) Populate the proper table
INSERT INTO metabib.keyword_field_entry (source, field, value) SELECT
record, 15, value FROM metabib.full_rec WHERE tag = '260' AND subfield
= 'a';

Of course, creating the index definition (step 1) before ingesting
records would remove the need to shove the data in by hand.  Future
versions (which will also require Postgres 8.3 or higher) will make
all of that as easy as a point-and-click web interface.

>  >  3. Would it be possible to have a limit for Bibliographic Level (MARC Leader/07)?
>
>  We would be interested in a similar feature. One of our collections is
>  essentially a catalogue of individual articles (07 = 'b'), and it
>  confuses our users to get article-level results mixed with books and
>  journal titles.

Yes, we could add bib_level as a filter.  The data is sitting there
waiting to be used, we just need to add it ... in fact {3 mins of
typing sounds} as of revision 9217 1.4 will support bib_level as a
filter in the search backend ... we just need (someone) to come up
with an interface.

>  >  6. When viewing the full MARC View for a record, it might be nice to be able to go back to the listing of results without having to choose OPAC view and then clicking the Go Back button (so, if there were a Go Back button on the MARC View display).
>
>  Hmm. In trunk I typically just hit the "View MARC" link at the top
>  right, and that displays the MARC record in a pop-up window. But I
>  could see something more explicit than "Go Back" as an option (I would
>  expect "Go Back" from "MARC View" to go back to the regular record
>  display, and then the next "Go Back" to go back to the results).

Better labeling suggestions would always be appreciated.

>  >  7. Is it possible (a setting somewhere, perhaps) to have more than 10 results display at once?
>
>  I took a brief look through the code but didn't find where this limit
>  was set. It must be possible, of course - perhaps we could expose it
>  as a staff client preference.

Go to My Account in the OPAC (yes, even from within the staff client)
and set the number of desired results per page there.

--
Mike Rylander