[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Is it time to begin retiring open-ils.org?

Karen G. Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Aug 18 08:36:03 EDT 2008

Brandon W. Uhlman wrote:
> FWIW, The Gentoo Foundation is one of the exemplars we would be
> following if an Evergreen foundation were formed for the purposes of
> owning the Evergreen software base. The Gentoo Foundation is
> incorporated in the USA as a 501(c)(6) organization, not (c)(3).
>
> A quick read around the Internet shows that there are lots of
> differences, around taxation, and other things, between (c)(3) and
> (c)(6). Hmmm. I'm sure there will be lots of interesting discussion as
> or if this goes forward.
>
> Anyhoo, I am not a lawyer, either. I'm not even an American. :)
>
> ~B

You're a North American. That counts for something. ;) Thanks for the
example ( http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/ ) -- I've plugged it into
Delicious, along with "Starting a Nonprofit Organization in Georgia" (
http://www.gcn.org/Services/PublicationsStartupPacket/StartingaNonprofitOrganizationinGeorgia.aspx
). The Gentoo Foundation has a really next explanation of WHY they took
this route. The "Principles" section is a nice one, too.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at esilibrary.com