[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Mark Ellis mark.ellis at yourlibrary.ca
Fri Feb 1 14:22:54 EST 2008

Dan,

Here are a few things we need:

1. The ability to support Chinese (both simplfied and traditional) in
the data and interface.  Your i18n efforts may make the latter just a
matter of translation. Getting result sets sorted properly might not be
as straightforward.

2. Shelf locations - (e.g. New Books Shelf)  Items with the same call
number may be shelved in different locations within a branch--often
temporarily.  This would appear as part of the item location where
additional specificity is required. (e.g. MacDonald Branch - New Books
Shelf)

3. Hold postponement.  We didn't fully appreciate the utility of this
feature until we lost it as a result of a migration and began to hear
from patrons.  Not only do they use it to prevent holds from being
trapped while they're on vacation, but it also allows them to manage the
rate at which they receive holds.  They can float on top of the hold
queue until they've finished reading whatever they have in hand.  This
contributes to faster turnarounds and more efficient use of the
collection.

Mark Ellis
Manager, Information Technology
Richmond Public Library