[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:30:29 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 2:22 PM, Mark Ellis <mark.ellis at yourlibrary.ca> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Here are a few things we need:
>
> 1. The ability to support Chinese (both simplfied and traditional) in
> the data and interface.  Your i18n efforts may make the latter just a
> matter of translation. Getting result sets sorted properly might not be
> as straightforward.

Fortunately, we do have a plan for result set sorting.  I know it will
work for simplified Chinese, but I'm not sure about traditional.  The
plan is based on this* and the internationalization work that Dan and
I have been doing.

* http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/l10n/.en

> 2. Shelf locations - (e.g. New Books Shelf)  Items with the same call
> number may be shelved in different locations within a branch--often
> temporarily.  This would appear as part of the item location where
> additional specificity is required. (e.g. MacDonald Branch - New Books
> Shelf)

This exists today under the the 'details' link by the call number, in
the column Location.  Perhaps that is not the optimal place for it?

> 3. Hold postponement.  We didn't fully appreciate the utility of this
> feature until we lost it as a result of a migration and began to hear
> from patrons.  Not only do they use it to prevent holds from being
> trapped while they're on vacation, but it also allows them to manage the
> rate at which they receive holds.  They can float on top of the hold
> queue until they've finished reading whatever they have in hand.  This
> contributes to faster turnarounds and more efficient use of the
> collection.

And this exists today in the 1.2 and development branches, and will be
in the first "official" release as of 1.2.2.

I'm glad we're on the right track (for many things), but it is
becoming obvious to me that we need better "marketing" ;) ... We need
to communicate more effectively what is already in the code and what's
planned.

Thanks, folks, for bringing up these points, and thank you Dan for
starting the thread!

--
Mike Rylander