[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Windows

Edward Corrado corrado at tcnj.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:40:23 EST 2008

This is not unusual. I know that this has come up with proprietary ILS products as well -- but I really see it as a Trojan horse. Even if X vendor markets the product on Windows, if it is not their main development platform you are askign for problems. I'd even go so far to run my ILS on Windows over Linux if I had to run that was developed on Windows instead of Linux (and most of the other customers where on it). Really, keeping up a server running Linux, Windows, Novell Netware,or anything is not very difficult if it is a one-product-solution for someone with some computer background.

The thing about this that makes me laugh is at least one ILS product runs on Windows via what amounts to an UNIX emulator. I hear of sites occasionally that run it because they don't have UNIX expertise, but it turns out they need to know just as much UNIX anyway! I guess if you IT department would go for that, you could install Evergreen in VMware!

Edward